Press Release Date: 09 Oct, 2012
Guoman Hotel Management Limited Achieves Carbon Trust Standard
Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Limited is delighted to be awarded the prestigious Carbon Trust Standard which recognises the approach to saving energy and successfully reducing carbon emissions across all 36 Guoman and Thistle hotels in the UK during the period 2009 to 2011.
Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Limited has undertaken and implemented a number of initiatives to reduce carbon emissions and achieve the Carbon Trust Standard. Hotels have been targeted to reduce energy consumption with low energy and LED lighting installed as a brand standard. Motion sensors have been installed in conference rooms and air conditioning units have been upgraded. Particular focus in this area includes staff training with housekeepers, ensuring that all electrical appliances have been switched off before cleaning begins.
A series of additional projects have also been implemented to promote carbon management across the Guoman Hotel Management (UK) portfolio. These include:
- Kitchen: There has been a focus to reduce food waste and to source ingredients locally, as well as implementing better systems to control air conditioning. Food digesters also replaced waste disposal units across all hotels meaning food waste can be broken down on site rather than transported elsewhere.
- Water saving: Various innovations have been installed across all hotels including tap restrictors and dual flush cisterns which effectively reduce the volume of water used.
- Guest amenities: Where practical, toiletries have been chosen that include higher levels of natural ingredients and packaged using biodegradable or recyclable material.
Heiko Figge, Managing Director of Guoman & Thistle Hotels commented, “We are extremely honoured to achieve the Carbon Trust Standard, and I’d like to thank each and every one of our colleagues across our hotel group for their contribution and dedication. This is something we can really celebrate. The Carbon Trust Standard is great recognition of our achievements in carbon reduction and demonstrates our continued commitment to reducing carbon emissions year on year. We’re all very proud to be acknowledged with such a high profile award.”
Darran Messem, Managing Director of Certification at the Carbon Trust commented, “Taking action on carbon is not only an environmental imperative, but can also deliver tangible cost savings and reputational benefits. We congratulate Guoman Hotel Management for taking action to reduce the Group’s environmental impact and achieving the Carbon Trust Standard. By achieving the Carbon Trust Standard, Guoman Hotel Management is providing assurance to stakeholders and customers that the Group is taking action to reduce its environmental impact.”
- Ends -
For further press information please contact the Thistle press office at the Red Consultancy on:
Email: email@example.com / telephone: 020 7025 6664
About Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Limited
Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Limited operates two hotel brands; Guoman Hotels - an exclusive collection of deluxe hotels located in central London and Thistle Hotels, a chain of quality full service hotels in the UK and Malaysia.
Guoman Hotels in the UK consists of five landmark properties; Charing Cross, The Cumberland, The Royal Horseguards, The Tower and the newest addition, The Grosvenor Hotel in Victoria. Whilst each hotel in the portfolio is different with its own unique identity and style, each provides the very highest levels of comfort and service to its guests.
Thistle has 31 hotels across the UK including all major city centres which are owned, leased or managed. Thistle Hotels is transforming the Thistle guest experience and is currently undertaking a five year investment programme across the group portfolio. Thistle Euston, Thistle Kensington Gardens, The Royal Trafalgar, Thistle Piccadilly and The Kingsley have joined a number of other properties who have already benefitted from complete refurbishment of all bedrooms and public areas.
About the Carbon Trust Standard
The Carbon Trust Standard verifies the carbon footprint and emission reduction of organisations. The Carbon Trust Standard was developed in consultation with the private and public sectors and is informed by the Carbon Trust’s wealth of experience working with UK businesses to implement carbon management strategies and international standards, such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- Over 650 organisations have achieved the Carbon Trust Standard since it was launched in June 2008.
- Collectively Carbon Trust Standard holders have cut their emissions by over 4.3 million tonnes of CO2 and equivalent (CO2e) greenhouse gases, as well as cutting their gas, electricity and fuel costs by over £645 million.
- To date, the total carbon footprint certified by the Carbon Trust Standard is over 165 million tonnes of CO2e.
All businesses and organisations, both in the UK and internationally, are eligible to apply for the Carbon Trust Standard including FTSEs, mid-caps, SMEs and public sector organisations. Organisations that are awarded the Carbon Trust Standard hold it for a two year period and to maintain the certification they must reapply and demonstrate that they have continued to make year-on-year reductions in their carbon emissions.
For further information or interviews on the Carbon Trust Standard, please contact the Carbon Trust press office on 020 7170 7050 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively visit www.carbontruststandard.com.
About the Carbon Trust
The Carbon Trust is an independent company with a mission to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy. The Carbon Trust:
- advises businesses, governments and the public sector on opportunities in a sustainable, low carbon world.
- measures and certifies the environmental footprint of organisations, products and services.
- helps develop and deploy low carbon technologies and solutions, from energy efficiency to renewable power.